What does sustainable even mean these days?!
Lets face it, sustainable is one of the most overused words on the planet, and it seems to be every companies' new favourite phrase to make themselves sound better. Even the super dodgy ones.... hello greenwashing!
To avoid being like them, we want to make it very clear exactly what we are selling so that you as the consumer can make an informed decision when you shop with us.
For that reason, our product descriptions are a bit longer than most other websites. We do not want to bore you, we just want to give you all the information! So feel free to skim over it, but if you want to know where a product was made, who by, using what materials and more, have a little read because it is all there!
To speed up the process, we also have these symbols on every product page, to help you shop by the values that are particularly important to you!
Treat Them Green's essential eco values:
- Cruelty free, always.
- Palm Oil free, wherever possible. Currently we only have one product containing palm oil, which is certified as sustainably sourced. We'd rather have none at all - but have made one exception because we wanted to offer a vegan-friendly alternative to milk chocolate and we can't find a product that ticks both boxes - yet!
- Responsible materials - we don't like plastic and avoid it as much as possible. Any plastic on this website will be minimal, reusable and recyclable.
- We are a vegan-friendly business. The majority of our products are suitable for vegans and the few that are not are clearly indicated in the product descriptions.
- We will always be transparent about where our products have been made. If they have been shipped from overseas, you will be told - we have no interest in deceiving you or any greenwashing whatsoever.
- We stock all of our products on site and never drop ship. This means that all items will be packed into one delivery by us - they will never be sent from multiple locations, in multiple delivery vans.
- To offset our carbon footprint, we plant a tree for every order.
- We are an inclusive business. Our products and gifts are for everyone - there are no gifts categories based on gender and every single person is welcome to shop with us.
Planet friendly packaging, always:
- All of our cardboard comes from FSC Certified sources. Our mailer boxes are made from recycled materials and can be reused, composted or recycled.
- To protect the products, we use shredded recycled Kraft paper.
- Our tissue paper is made from recycled, acid free paper and printed with plant based inks.
- The tape we use to seal the parcels is 100% recycled brown paper and is compostable and recyclable.
- Our marketing materials and labels are made from recycled paper, using plant based inks.
Where do we source the products from?
It is very important to us that you know the origin of the products you are buying. In every product description we will tell you where the item has been made.
Our favourite thing to do is to support small businesses in the UK. A lot of our products are handmade using locally sourced materials and have a small carbon footprint.
Certain items are impossible to source in the UK, such as bamboo products, native to China. Anything that has been made overseas is purchased through ethical suppliers, and we plant extra trees to offset the shipping. We only work with suppliers that ensure that the people who make the items are paid fairly and have good working conditions. You may well find that you can purchase similar items for a lower cost elsewhere - but it's worth asking why they are able to sell the products so cheaply?
No one is perfect and no business can be perfectly sustainable. I will be continually reviewing my working practices to see if there are ways in which I can improve. If you have any questions or suggestions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.